What is involved in being a recruitment consultant in Malta?
- Being a Recruitment Consultant involves using and developing a broad range of skills, you will be writing advertising copy and marketing via social media to source the best talent in the IT Sector.
- Recruitment Consultants need to understand people so you will be telephone candidates, meeting people and building your network.
- In a recruitment consultancy, you will be speaking to companies and presenting your recruitment services to them.
- Recruitment Consultants will be managing client company accounts and eventually building sales skills, so you can present the best jobs to candidates.
- A Recruiters role is also highly administrative so there are lots of tasks to balance and skills to develop.
How do I become a Recruitment Consultant?
At Archer IT Recruitment, we have a training programme to train people in all areas of recruitment and it typically takes 2 years to complete all our training. The training covers all areas of the recruitment life cycle. You will develop a range of recruitment and sales skills, using an ever-changing range of tools including phone-based skills, interviewing, social media marketing and advertising.
You will complete over 200 modules of training and you will learn from some outstanding recruitment consultants in both Ireland, Malta and some industry experts in the US.
For more information about our training programme.
What are my career development opportunities as a Recruitment Consultant with Archer IT Recruitment?
Archer IT Recruitment Malta is growing fast and it needs new leaders for the future.
For the first 2 years, you learn the industry and broad range of skills. There are opportunities to move into management or Client Management, Training or even become a Director. Archer has a partnership model where people who go the extra mile can progress to an equity partner. This is much like a Management Consultancy, Law Firm or Accounting Practice.
Who is suited to being a Recruitment Consultant in our company?
Successful Recruitment Consultants like being part of a target and goal orientated environment. They enjoy the earning potential of the sector. It often suits people who have financial goals like buying a house. It isn’t always easy and often there will be difficult conversations and setbacks. Resilience and determination are important traits.
What are we looking for in our Recruitment Consultants?
We don’t mind if people do or don’t’ have recruitment consulting experience. We have an extensive training programme. We are looking for people who have the right attitude for Archer IT Recruitment. On occasion, people can have the right skills but recruitment isn’t quite right for them at this point and at another stage of life, they can be right for our company.
- We like our Recruitment Consultants to be friendly people, who enjoy talking with others.
- High energy as the role involves being very proactive.
- Graduate Bachelor’s Degree in anything really from Commerce, Law, Finance, Science, Law, Arts.
- 1 + years’ experience in anything. Sales can be helpful but people can come from Finance, Accounting, Banking, Insurance, IT, Media, Events, Retail, Marketing or other areas as well.
What do I get from being a Recruitment Consultant?
- There is a solid basic salary but it is heavily commission-based with many of the best recruitment consultants earning triple their salary in commission.
- You learn about people and businesses.
- Hard work gets rewarded, not always immediately but it will in time. We have a structure that speeds up the commission for people and allows them to earn commission quickly.
- You meet people and build relationships and networks.
- You will help organisations build teams and candidates realise their career ambitions.
- The environment is very social with weekly and quarterly team activities. Archer offers incentives for the team and its high performers which includes a ski trip.
What are some of the negative elements of being a Recruitment Consultant?
- People need to think about this as a long-term career. It takes at least 2 years to have the expertise and a good network.
- Companies and candidates don’t always want to talk to recruiters.
- It can be long hours and there are deadlines and performance metrics to achieve.
- Recruitment isn’t a time-based position, it more about achievements. This takes considerable time and significant effort to achieve results.
- The industry is results-based. In so far, as doing an OK job doesn’t really satisfy our clients and candidates, so people who want to achieve a high standard typically do twice or triple as well as average recruitment consultants.
- Recruitment Consultants need to differentiate themselves from Recruitment Agents. Being a Recruitment Consultant involves providing constructive feedback to clients and candidates about how to improve recruitment processes and candidate CVs, interview skills and salary expectations.
What is the Salary for a Recruitment Consultant?
The position is heavily commission-based; however, it does have a solid basic salary.
Year 1: the basic salary is €19,000 – €24,000 (depending on experience). The commission is typically €8,000. However, some consultants earn €25,000 in commission in their first year.
Year 2: The basic salary normally increases and your commission is on average €20,000. However, some people do earn €40,000 in commission in year 2.
If you would like to explore it further, please feel free to submit your CV for a confidential conversation.
Below are some links to some internally developed material and some external thought leaders in the recruitment industry.
Here is some information about careers in recruitment consultancy from some third-party sources. These thoughts are from a Recruitment Consultant at another unrelated recruitment firm.
Greg Savage is a successful Recruitment Consultant and he has some interesting thoughts about becoming a recruitment consultant.
Join Our Recruitment Team
Founder of Archer IT Malta
Josh Linton a founder of Archer Recruitment and has been a recruitment consultant for nearly 20 years. During that time, he was a founder of Archer Recruitment and the group has grown to over 65 people. He shares with us his and Archer Recruitments story.
Using your Entrepreneurial Spirit
Being new to recruitment, Archer IT Recruitment believed in my attitude and took me under their wing. They invested heavily in my training and development. They are providing me with all the tools I need to succeed.
A Challenging but Rewarding Profession
All of my professional experience to date is in recruitment. After completing my studies, I came across an internship opportunity in Rome, as a Recruitment Assistant within an Interim Recruitment Company. This gave me my start in the industry.